Saturday, February 6, 2010

Frederick George Murray Jr.

It has been five years since I heard the sad news about my dad's passing.      It was superbowl morning and we were getting ready for the annual festivities; we planned a chinese theme for the superbowl.   The party never occurred, and we had a somber superbowl that year up at Fishing Rock Road.   That is enough of the sad memories.  I like to talk about some good memories I have of my dad.  

1.   The Red Truck:  My father was always easily spotted by his red cattle truck.     I had fond childhood memories of riding in the passenger seat of my dad's truck seeing the countyrside of rural upstate NY.   I was always impressed how strong he was after watching him pick up calves and maneuver a 1000 lb cows into that truck.  
2.  Raggedy Ann, Andy and the Orangutan:  I had several slumber parties growing up.    My father was noted for his stories about Raggedy Ann, Andy and the Orangutan.     I wish I could remember some of the details of those stories to pass on to Alex and Sophia.   

3. Button Down, pocket shirts:   My father always wore a button down shirt with a pocket for his cigarettes.   

4.  Since we are on the theme of clothes, the converse sneakers:   My father had large feet as a result he usually had to special order his shoes.  He always wore black, canvus converse sneakers until later when he found a size 16 casual shoe at some store at the mall.   

5.   The parade has been delayed!     My family always took a family vacation within driving range of Middleville NY.     One summer, my mom, dad, my best friend Jess, and I went to Northeast MA for a weekend getaway.  After spending the afternoon in Salem MA we drove through Gloucester MA where people were lined up along the street waiting for a parade.   My father could be a jokester so we decided to yell out to everyone that the parade has been delayed.   

6.  Starfish:      Another weekend getaway we went to Hampton Beach NH.    I spent the afternoon with a friend of mine perusing the beach for boys of course.   We had to meet my dad for a check in at some diner; we came up to say hi for a check in and I still remember seeing a starfish on a napkin next to him while he was sipping coffee and smoking a cigarette.   He told us how he managed to catch the starfish from the ocean.   I still have the starfish!

7.  Softball:   I would spend my summer evenings as a child playing softball in Newport, Middleville and Poland.   My dad was our softball coach and I was fortunate enough to play the two best positions- first base and pitcher.   Most of my good friends were on the team including Crystal Clark and Missy Chandler.   

8.  Pizza and tossed salad:    My father and mother used to meet every Friday evening at Shawn and Trish's home in Herkimer for pizza.    A week before my dad passed he was in St. Luke's nursing home and was not eating much due to his condition.   I was there with Alex and my mom; we needed dinner so we order a pizza and tossed salad.    My father was so happy to have one of his favorite meals.    I was fortunate to have the opportunity to share one more pizza and tossed salad dinner with my dad.   

9.   Broken little toe:    After I graduated from University of South Carolina I returned home while Drew was finishing his thesis and classes in Columbia SC.   I was searching for jobs in New York State.   I had a call back interview at a job I desperately wanted in Westchester.  The day before my interview I dislocated my little toe.    I was freaked b/c I did not want to drive 8 hours in one day with a painful broken toe.  My dad came with me on this adventure and we enjoyed ourselves.  I managed to get the job and my father had to return to help me move into my apartment in Mt. Kisco.    

I think I could go on with the memories.  Please share if you have any fond memories of Frederick Murray Jr.   

No comments:

Post a Comment